[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.21″]
Best Futons on the Market – 2020 Guide!
Remember the last time you slept in futon? It must’ve been in college, right? Or maybe that one time you stayed over at a friend’s house. How did it feel? If by any chance you swore off ever sleeping in a futon because of your awful experience back then, maybe give it another shot right now. These days, futons are more versatile, comfortable, stylish, and affordable.
They’re no longer just a prop at a random college dorm or something you’d put in your space just to fill it. There’s a market for futons that make them a viable investment, whether you own a house or an apartment with limited living space.
- What Exactly is a Futon?
- Reasons to Buy a Futon: What Makes a Good Futon?
- Best Futons on the Market
- Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Queen
- Serta is one of America’s best mattress makers that offer supreme comfort with the Serta Cypress Futon Mattress.
- Home Life 8-Inch Independently–Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress
- EMOOR Classe Traditional Japanese Mattress
- D&D Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress
- This futon mattress is designed to follow the traditional Japanese futon and is made of natural materials, making it a great choice for many futon searchers.
- Brand New Gray Shikibuton Trifold Foam Beds
- Not a futon by tradition, but this mattress is designed with the futon in mind and is one of the best choices for easy to fold and pack away mattress.
- DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress
- DHP is known for its best selling products that many people have trusted throughout the years, and this futon mattress is one proof.
- Kodiak Futon Lounger
What Exactly is a Futon?
A futon, by tradition, is a thin, Japanese mattress styled to be laid on the floor. It is typically folded and put away after each use.
The American futon is thicker and is a combination of foam, cotton, and springs. It is similar to the modern mattress we use today, meaning it can be placed onto a frame, directly on the floor, or on a foundation. If the futon can be folded and placed on a frame, it can also function as a sofa.
What you get is a firm, supportive, bouncy, and flexible mattress that can provide comfort and support in both sleeping and seating positions.
Reasons to Buy a Futon: What Makes a Good Futon?
One of the many advantages of using a futon is to save space. If you are looking for a portable bed, futons are the perfect sleeping solution. Unlike airbeds, they don’t need a lot of space. Depending on how do use futons in your house, a futon can be transformed into a sofa and a bed. Imagine being able to store your bed in a cupboard? You get a lot of space when you’re not using it.
A futon occupies very little space and can be stored away easily, so you don’t have to worry about where to store it.
If you’re into aesthetics, you’ll love how interchangeable futons are. It is so easy to personalize a futon to meet your design goals. Simply change the slipcovers into something more fashionable or something that would match the interior of your place.
A futon is the closest you can get to sleeping on the floor, which is considered healthy and ideal for spinal alignment. If this is relevant to your needs, you should consider getting a quality futon mattress.
Traditional futons are thin but don’t think that it’s less comfortable than the mattress you’re using now. Modern futons have inner springs with individually pocketed coils and a foam to make sure you sleep soundly at night. Make sure to go over the features before buying.
Futons are way more affordable than traditional mattresses. It’s a guarantee you can get a high-quality product at a reasonable price.
Futons are a piece of double purpose furniture in the house: they are both a bed and a sofa. The only alternative is a sleeper sofa, but these are quite bulky and you can never change how it looks. A futon is very lightweight and can be transported and taken apart easily. You can re-assemble it without hassle, making it an ideal solution if you have guests. Simply unfold the futon and you get something that can be slept on.
With all that said, here is our top 7 list of futons we think are worth your money. Whether you intend to use it as a sleeper or a sofa in your college dorm, guest room, or family room, you’ll find the futon you need on this list.
Best Futons on the Market
Serta is one of America’s best mattress makers that offer supreme comfort with the Serta Cypress Futon Mattress.
Here are the key features of the Serta Cypress Futon Mattress:
- Cotton twill with machine laced tufts
- 3 layers of heavy weight cotton fiber blend
- True box casing construction
- 4” 288 Bonnel innerspring unit
This futon mattress is a product of technology and innovation with the goal of delivering optimum comfort. It is made of a mixture of polyester fibers and selected grades of cotton, a blend that that makes it durable and light.
This particular model is available in natural, khaki, and black. It is kind of expensive compared to other futons, but its features make it a worthy investment.
- Made with a firm and solid structure
- Has a unique blend of selected grades of cotton and polyester fibers
- The cover is made of khaki duck cloth
- It is difficult to fold and is too stiff to be made into a couch
This futon mattress from home life is one great choice if you’re looking for a futon that offers high-level support.
Here are the key features of the Home Life Premium Futon Mattress:
- 8 x 6 x 4 inches
- Microfiber cover
- Polyester layers between coils and cover and quality foam
- 15-gauge independently pocketed coils
In order to provide the best support and comfort, this futon has a layered structure that includes a microfiber top cover, individually pocketed coils, polyester, and quality foam. This particular model is ideal for sofa use and you won’t find any lump if you fold it into a couch. You can buy the frame and the futon arms separately.
This mattress comes in tan colors, brown charcoal, and chocolate brown. It is available for a bargain price without the compromised quality.
- Integrated with 15-gauge independently pocketed coils
- It comes with a microfiber cover
- Fits any standard full-size futon frame
- Constructed with a solid structure
- Best rated for sofa use
- Quality polyester layers and foam between coils and cover for best support and comfort
- Kind of hard to fold because of its thickness
Here are the key features of the EMOOR Classe Traditional Japanese Futon Mattress:
- 100% polyester stuffing of nearly 4 lbs
- 200 thread count cotton broadcloth fabric
- 100$ hygroscopic cotton fabric
- Deodorized material that lasts 2 to 3 year
- Antibacterial and anti-tick stuffing
This particular model aims to give you comfort on a Japanese perspective when it comes to futon mattresses. It is available in Queen, Full, and Twin Sizes. The covers are available in 8 different shades: wine, pink, navy, green, gray, brown, black, and beige. This makes personalization easier and you can mix and match according to your mood or the interior of your living space. You can buy more cover sets and matching pillowcases separately.
At approximately 3 inches, this futon is not that thick but it is dense enough to provide comfort and not feel like you’re sleeping on the floor. For some, this futon can feel too firm. If you don’t like a firm mattress, then this is not the futon for you.
As for the price, this futon is not too cheap and not too expensive either. It is made in Japan but it’s still reasonably priced. This would make a very practical choice and allow you to experience an authentic futon coming from Japan. It has been modernized a bit, but it won’t disappoint.
- Too thin for some users
- Easy to fold futon
- Durable and designed to last long
- Beautifully made – quality craftsmanship
- Lightweight and portable
- Made in Japan
- Too firm for some users
This futon mattress is designed to follow the traditional Japanese futon and is made of natural materials, making it a great choice for many futon searchers.
Here are the key features of the D&D Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress:
- 80 x 30 x 3 inches
- Easy storage and can be rolled easily
- Quality cotton and foam with a layer of polyester
This futon is rollable instead of foldable it comes with straps to prevent it from unrolling. To provide extra comfort, this futon is rather thick, so you have to push a little harder so you can roll it. But if you roll it regularly, the futon will get used to it.
This feature makes this futon easy to store even in small spaces. It can be bought in picnics too or any outdoor activities. This can also be placed in massage studios, patios, and guest rooms. Although quite large, this futon is very lightweight.
It provides great comfort, but some people find the bed a bit short. Overall, it’s a great futon for its price.
- One of the best priced futons in the market
- Follows fire standards
- Lightweight and portable
- Made in the USA
- Thick padding and does not sag even in long-term use
- Very comfortable and provides great back support
- Short, could regain its original size after some time
Not a futon by tradition, but this mattress is designed with the futon in mind and is one of the best choices for easy to fold and pack away mattress.
Here are the key features of the Brand New Gray Shikibuton Trifold Foam Beds:
- 9″ high x 25″ deep x 27″ wide
- 3″ thick x 27″ wide x 75″ long
- Trifold and easy to store
The name of this mattress actually translates to “shiki futon.” It is a trifold mattress made of high lightweight but high-density firm foam. Due to its foldable features and its dimensions, this futon can be easily transported and is very portable.
These are great features for the futon, but you can only sleep on this when it’s fully stretched out. This model is also very thin and narrow. For best results, you should use something underneath to add comfort or perhaps place it atop another foam. Other than that, this is one great Japanese futon.
- Affordable Japanese futon
- Portable and easy to fold and carry
- Made with quality materials
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Has odor the first time you use it
- A bit firm
DHP is known for its best selling products that many people have trusted throughout the years, and this futon mattress is one proof.
Here are the key features of the DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress:
- It comes with a microfiber cover
- The product has low VOC emissions
- Proven to have no lead, mercury,, and heavy metals, ozone depleters, flame retardants, TCEP or TDCPP, and PBDEs
- Made of quality polyester and foam
- Has 15-gauge independently encased coils for ample back support and comfort
This futon works great in any standard full-size futon frame and brings comfort regardless if you put it on a couch or a bed. Although, this futon mattress is a bit on the firm side. You will sleep cool with the mattress and it will provide comfort and support through the whole night. It can be made into a sofa during the day, providing good support for the back.
If you are looking for a mattress with independently encased coils, this is one of the best options. Its microfiber cover feels so smooth and soft, which adds to the comfort levels of this futon whether you sleep or sit on it.
It’s also great that you get to match this futon to your already permanent interior. You have six colors to choose from: tan, merlot, cobalt, chocolate, charcoal, and black. The price is quite affordable for a futon with amazing features, so it’s really a good buy.
- Variety of color options to match your home
- Microfiber cover that’s easy to clean
- Great customer service
- This futon doesn’t sag even when used for a long time
- Reasonably priced futon
- Also good for use on a bed frame
- Fits any standard full-size futon frame
- Provides great support and comfort for the back
- The upper layer won’t stay in its place once folded
- Has a rubbery smell for the first few days
Most futons included in this list offer you two positions: either bed or couch. But with the Kodiak Futon Lounger, you get a third position: chaise lounge. You can adjust the arms of this futon so that one arm is lower and the other one is raised halfway up, creating a lounging position. However, you must be really careful with those arms as they don’t really come with proper support.
Here are the key features of the Kodiak Futon Lounger:
- Firm futon
- Made of quality polyester, cotton, polyurethane foam, metal, and wood
- 32 x 79 x 5-6 inches when not folded
This futon is versatile but it can only hold no more than 300 lbs. So if you’re a bit heavier, maybe choose another futon found on this list. The adjustable frame is made of metal, but you can also find some wooden slats that provide support. According to the manufacturer, it’s best to place this product against the wall for more support.
The cover of this futon is tufted, so it’s fairly impossible to remove it from the mattress if you want to clean it. However, replaceable mattresses are available for this model in case you get a stain on it or you simply want to change the pattern or the color of the surface. This model comes with a pillow that can be placed as additional support for the back.
- Transforms into a chaise lounge, couch, and bed
- Can replace the mattress or serve as an extra bedding
- Its great design will complement any home
- Limited weight capacity
- The cover cannot be removed
Your futon of choice shouldn’t just be based on how stylish and beautiful it looks – you must consider comfort and support too. But comfort is subjective, so if you don’t like a firm mattress, then a comfortable futon for is something that’s more fluffy. Objectively speaking, however, one of the best futons you can find in the market today that has the right balance of design, comfort, longevity, and price – for us – is the DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress. It’s a classic design, which means you won’t have a hard time making it fit into any interior. For the price, you get a reliable furniture that can double as a couch as well.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]